Tuesday 24 May 2011

Hip Hop Canvass with The Mith...

How did you get your moniker, The Mith, and what does it represent? 
I got my name in Hillside High school. My friends used to call me Mythological because I was always reading on Mythology. When I started rapping I used THE M.I.T.H, which after a studio session with Hannz Tactiq, turned from just a name to the acronym, MUSIC IN THE HIGHEST. That’s what it represents, because that's what I deliver.

Define your lyrical style in a few words…
I try my hardest to be relevant and make people relate. There are many people out there rhyming about everything, but where they’re from. I rhyme about the life of a Ugandan.

When and how did it all begin for The Mith?
It started in Hillside High School in 1999. I wrote my first rhyme, THE REASON, and got hooked to words and what they do. I haven’t stopped since then.

 
At what point did you know you were an above-average rapper?
I thought I was okay, but when I started getting word from South African rappers saying I impressed them with my writing and all, I decided to take it to the next level.

 
While our focus is on emcee skills so let’s dig into that for a bit. Who influenced your style growing up?
I listened to a lot of Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas, Snoop, Pun and Canibus. So I took a lot from each of them. But my main influence had to be the African artists I started listening to. From K-South in Kenya all the way down to ProVerb in South Africa, these guys influenced me a lot because it’s so much easier to relate to them and what they rap about. The African Dream is the same all over.

What's your take on the hip hop industry right now both locally and internationally and where would you like to see it at 5 years from now?
F**k the international scene, [it's] not of any interest to me. Locally, I think there’s no genre moving at a better pace. I see Hip-Hop artists always trying to better themselves. Whether it be with the music, the videos, the performances or the mergers and Business ventures, the artists are pushing the boundaries further and further on a daily basis. So the Hip-Hop industry can only grow. 5 years from now I can’t wait to see where it’s going to be.

According to you, what makes you appear as unique in the music industry in Uganda or East Africa?
I have refused to dumb down. A lot of the artists in E.A have dumbed down a lot in order to get some money, but in the process, they have lost who they are. I am still me, no 2 ways about that.

Which (mainstream or underground) artist earned your respect and why?
I think there’s no 1 artist I respect over others. There are a bunch of artists I respect and for various reasons. Nonini is building an empire. Dude has gone from videos for every song on his album to tours in States and phone apps, to movies and managing artists. Navio mainly because dude is persistent. The Ugandan industry usually affects the artists' heads, especially when they gain success, but he still stays regular working hard like he is just coming out. And many others.

The Week Of September is the title of your upcoming LP. What influenced this album title? 
I was born on September 8th and I started conceptualizing the album with a friend of mine, P-Tech, in September 06 before he died. 

The September Reign mixtape was definitely sizzling hot, what can we expect from your new album The Week Of September?
Better production. Better concepts. Better lyrics. Better collabos. Everything on the album has been put to a Better level.
   
What is your favorite album of all time?
Ready To Die – Biggie. But Doggy Style has to be mentioned, they go hand in hand for me.














You just finished recording your album. Any special guests on the album you can reveal to the fans?

Percussion Discussion Africa.
Nonini
Navio
Don MC
Deejay Aludah
Tickie Tah
F**k it, every collabo is a special 1.
Percussion Discussion Africa

Deejay Aludah
Tickie Tah
Don MC


Nonini


Navio



Immortal interview question; any artists you’d like to work with on your next EP/LP/mixtape?
Lillian (Blu*3)
Maurice Kirya and some more I won’t reveal because I don’t want these non-creative f**ks to go and do them before me.

Lilian (Blu*3)
Maurice Kirya











 
If you had to drive from Ntinda to Nairobi and you could only take 3 CDs with you, what would they be?

 Life After Death – Biggie
Afrigo Bands first album
And anything from Freshly Ground.
Afrigo Band
Freshly Ground
Projecting, what does the future hold for The Mith?
More. I am putting out more music. More videos. More collabos. More ideas. So the future for me is all about MORE.

 
Do you have any other ultimate goals?
Doing an album that crosses over. A soundtrack of sorts. One that will get accolades in every award ceremony and get noticed in every country.

Okay so this one's a little bit left-field; On to Fashion, what do you consider to be your personal style, what brands are you rockin' right now?
I’m So UG T-shirt, Latif jeans, Adidas shoes and all.
Adidas Classics

















Final thoughts?
THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER in stores soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment